Monday, September 7, 2015

What a Summer for Wrestling Fans!

It's been a while since I posted anything on the blog, in fact I haven't posted since before SummerSlam. I was simply overwhelmed with the sheer amount of wrestling there was. Each of the three events from the WWE visit to New York were at least 2 hours long, which meant a total of 8 hours plus of WWE entertainment from the Barclay Center.

I have to agree with Nick that the return of the Dudley Boyz was a great move for the WWE tag team division. Every team in the WWE had a unique brand and style, but none of them came off as dominant or powerful. The Dudleys have always been one of the most over and popular tag teams in the history of professional wrestling and I was happy to see them back in action. I'd love to see a Dudley Boyz VS Vaudevillians match at Wrestlemania this year. Yes, I am a big fan of the Vaudevillians, I love the gimmick and style of wrestling they use to promote the gimmick. Everything from their intro to their finishing pose makes me laugh, in a good way. Okay, so let's break down everything that has happened so far.

SummerSlam

Randy Orton had a disappointing match against Sheamus. I am not a fan of Sheamus and Orton's part time status is becoming glaringly apparent, as he no longer seems interested in any kind of title or big league match. Randy Orton has won so many titles and so many big matches that at this point there really isn't anything for him to do.

Ryback/Big Show/Miz came together better than I expected. It's not easy to put on a triple threat match, especially with men the size of Show and Ryback, but they pulled it off as best they could. Miz certainly showed his toughness and I think he'd make just as interesting a champion as Ryback. Unfortunately we have a heel World Champion so I doubt the Miz is going to ever going to carry another title until Seth Rollins flips back to a babyface.

Stephen Amell performed better than any actor or celebrity I've ever seen in the ring. I know Stone Cold wasn't impressed, I don't think he likes amateurs in the ring, no matter who they are, but Amell is naturally athletic and looked like he knew what he was doing, he just didn't pull it off as well as the more experienced wrestlers we're used to seeing. With time, he'd probably make a pretty decent wrestler. I love Stardust, so I am always done to watch him in the ring. His follow-up match with Neville, where he turned on King Barrett, was a great move. Having three days to put on a show gave the WWE the ability to create a richer story for their universe and it clearly improved the quality of the product overall.

John Stewart as a heel? That was unexpected and I feel it tainted the ending of a fantastic match. Both men did incredible work in the ring and I think they deserved a straight finish, but it is what it is. So what now for John Cena?


I love the Divas division but everything is too clear cut right now and while they are giving us some great matches, there is no drama to it. As long as Nikki remains champion, I am happy. But I'd like to see some more action outside the ring; how long until Paige turns against the Submission Sorority?
The Undertaker VS Brock Lesnar was better than I expected. I really didn't think the Undertaker had it in him to give us another major battle, but he did it. Not only did he pull out all the vintage moves, but he managed to brawl with Brock right to the end. The 'tapout' controversy is irrelevant, we all know those two are never going to end their feud in any sort of final way. This was the best moment of Summerslam:



The Return Of Sting

I never saw this coming. I knew Sting was signed to the WWE, but I wasn't sure if I'd ever see him wrestle again. Now that he has another event, I am sure we'll see him on RAW in a match any day now.

Where did Seth's statue go? I don't know, but wouldn't it be awesome if he melted it down and made it into a WCW championship title?

I am not a big fan of Seth Rollins holding both titles, but maybe that is what they are going for. It seems to me that the WWE is building Seth into the greatest heel champion since Ric Flair. I have no idea what is going to happen at Night of Champions but if I had to make a prediction I'd go against the odds and say that Rollins is going to lose both titles and get taken down a peg. Remember, he's only been with the WWE for three years, in fact his three year anniversary will be in November. That's not to say that the WWE hasn't pushed guys early in their careers, but you can get more matches out of Seth losing and coming back for the title than you can with him retaining it. If he beats Cena and Sting in one night, he will be a legend, but I think the fans will grow sick of him quickly after that. When a hell never loses, fans start to resent them, much like Hogan in the NWO. A loss against Sting can set up a three match feud between Seth and Triple H. I don't believe Triple H is retired and I can see him coming back just to beat some sense into Rollins.


Lucha Underground

I finally discovered Lucha Underground and just finished watching season 1 last night. Lucha Underground is by far the best wrestling show on right now, although it doesn't have the same level of excitment as the WWE, it is far more creative and dangerous. As a writer, Lucha Underground is the wrestling show I've always wanted to be a part of. Their storylines drive their matches and their characters, while over the top, are some of the best wrestlers in the world. Every episode I watched I witnessed a move I'd never seen before. I won't go too deep into it, other than to say you have to watch it yourself. Anyone who calls themself a wrestling fan has to watch Lucha Underground. I watched it with my kids, because my wife wasn't a fan. We were not expecting it to be so brutal, but at least I was able to teach them about the dangers of florescent lights. If there is a season 2, it is going to get dark; Prince Puma is no longer the champion, thanks to the scariest dead man since the Undertaker, Mil Muertes. You've got to check out Lucha Underground, no matter what it takes, watch this!





No comments:

Post a Comment